Get A Head Start on 2011
It’s almost New Year’s Eve and we all know what that means: New Year’s Resolutions. This IS the year you are going to make changes and stick to your resolutions. New Year, New Goals, New You – right? It can be if you have the right plan. Here are 10 tips to help you create and reach your goals for the New Year.
1. Set resolutions that are realistic and based on your personal history. Learn from your failures. If you want to exercise five days a week and you haven’t done it in the past, try to do something that you are positive you will and can do. Start with exercising twice a week. And go from there.
2. Set “in between goals”. You might want to lose 50 pounds or get a 6 pack, but it won’t happen overnight. Set your sights on small goals that will lead you to the big goal. Completing the small goals will keep you motivated and excited to reach the ultimate goal.
3. Evaluate whether or not you have the skills to attain your resolution. If you want to start a strength-training program but have never lifted a weight or been inside a gym, there’s a good chance you’ll get intimidated or confused and give up. If you’re not sure how to reach your goal, get help. Ask a friend for advice, seek a pro or hire a personal trainer.
4. Write down your resolution and your plan. Be clear on what your goal is, how you plan to reach it and what you will do if you slip up. A well laid out plan will help to ensure success.
5. Keep track of your progress. For example, if you write down each workout, in time you can look back at past workouts and see the gains you’ve made.
6. Be positive. If you say you can, you can! The way you talk to yourself really affects your ability to attain your goals. If you slip up, don’t beat yourself up about it. You’re human! Acknowledge it, figure out why you slipped up and remember what happened so you will be ready for the next time.
7. Lose the excuses. Excuses are just reasons that you create because you are too scared to move forward. Don’t let excuses and fear keep you from your goals.
8. Get support. Reach out to your family, friends or a group of people who share the same goal and who can encourage you and help you through difficult times.
9. Use common sense. Avoid tempting situations that my cause you to make poor choices. If your downfall is ice cream, then don’t walk into the ice cream shop.
10. Be prepared! If you plan to go to the gym after work, have your bag packed & ready to go the night before. If you want to eat better, make enough healthy foods to last you all week. Put them in clear containers in the fridge for easy to grab meals.
Tweets that mention Get A Head Start on 2011 — Fitness To Go -- Topsy.com
December 1, 2010 @ 8:06 pm
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tera Busker, nomoreXcusesfit. nomoreXcusesfit said: RT @FitnessToGo: Thinking about your New Years Resolutions? Here are some great tips to help you reach your goals! http://fb.me/Mz8MNZqZ […]